CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, August 22, 2008

Clothes shopping is NOT for me!

I don't enjoy shopping for clothes. I attribute part of this to the fact that I am not a size 4...or any single digit size, for that matter. Besides that, I don't have much of a sense of style, and I'd prefer to remain in jeans and a t-shirt (with appropriate seasonal variation to capris, or sweatshirts, or whatever). Still, I find enough items to prevent me from being naked, at least, and hopefully I'm at least clean and presentable, most of the time.

But even worse than shopping for me is shopping for Helena. When she was just a wee babe, I loved this. So many cute things are available for baby girls that I still want to buy them, with no reason.

Now, of course, Helena's nowhere near a baby. She wears anything from a 6X (they're mostly too small now) to an 8, depending on the garment and the manufacturer. I've mentioned before that she usually goes through about two sizes a year - her "beginning of summer" clothes don't fit now, at the end of August. Compared to other girls her age, I've purchased twice as many clothes. Additionally, I'm trying to be sure she has not only her school/fall clothes, but also a few summery things for our January trip to Florida (last time it was in the 80s in Feb.).

She just keeps getting bigger, and in different ways! One week, she's bigger around, and the next week, she's two inches taller. At her recent 4 year visit, her pediatrician said she's off the charts for height, but - and how does THIS happen - many times I'll buy some jeans or pants, and they're inches too long, but tight at the waist.

And all of you can relate to the joys of shopping with a preschooler. "Let's go to the changing room really quick." "Again? I don't want to." "Helena, please. We'll be fast." "Can I get a treat?" "No! Why do you ALWAYS think you deserve a treat for exhibiting polite human behavior?"

Anyway, besides the inevitable frustration and gazillions of clothing returns we've been through, this whole endeavor isn't cheap. At least Hunter's clothes are purchased and ready to go for at least another year (store sales and yard sales.)

Shopping is beastly. Hunter's much easier to dress.

5 comments:

Leanne said...

Haha! I love the nakey pic of Hunter. Too funny.

I hear ya about the clothes shopping. Macie is opposite of Helena being short. It's super hard to shop for her and for Molly. Macie is 12, yet I find clothing to fit her that is in the kiddy dept. She wears a size 8 in kids. Sometimes a 10 if it's made of cotton. haha. I have to shop at JC Penney for Molly. I won't go into details as to why.

Shopping for myself is a big no-no. I don't do it. I wear the same silly v-neck shirts that Target sells every single day. I keep telling myself that it's easier to just wear the same thing until I lose weight. Why shop when it's soooo depressing? I'll just keep looking like a frump for now until I get the motivation to lose.

I do have to say that you look just fine in the clothes I've seen you wear lately. Especially the white blouse (do people even call them that anymore or am I just a nerd?) that you wore to our bloggers GNO. That was so gorgeous.

Beth Soelberg said...

I also use words like blouse, trousers, hose, etc. We'll be nerds together.

Maybe we should just start making our kids clothes ourselves, right Leanne? :)

Nikki said...

Ha!! You are so funny. That picture is too cute :)
I hate clothes shopping- not so much when the numbers on the scale are going down, but when the are going up- I avoid stores all together.
Clothing children is no easy task... Fits in the waist but too short, fits in the length, but too big in the waist. Buying a size bigger so the shirts not too tight or too short. The kids have to try everything on. They don't want too..
Well actually my girls- esp. Reagan- love to try on piles and piles of clothes in hopes that I'll buy it all. Pre teen girl thing I guess.

Nikki said...

Hey Beth- I need your home address... would you email it to me?
nikgarrick(at)yahoo(dot)com
Thanks!

Andrea said...

If clothes are so easy to buy for Hunter, why is he naked? Also the day you sit down in front of a sewing machine please video tape it for posterity. Good luck crafting your own blouses and trousers.