CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, May 18, 2007

The Joy of The Office

In my real, actual life, I've never felt anything like the joy I feel while watching "The Office" in a real office. I've worked in a few and they were all singularly depressing, even though occasionally I did work with one or two genuinely fun people.

SO many layers to the season finale...but if you're not interested in the aforementioned television program, stop reading now and check back on my next post!

I never REALLY disliked Karen until tonight. Too often it seemed so obvious that she was trying to "mark her territory" with Jim. Anyone with a little sense could see that if you have to do that, the relationship isn't going so well. To her, the competition of the job was more important than being supportive of her boyfriend (witness her leaving to have lunch with friends while Jim sat alone, waiting to interview.) On the other side, it was nice to see Jim's caring come through - when Jan was self-destructing, Karen was reveling in it while Jim was sorry. It was like he realized that, after all and in spite of her nuttiness, Jan was a human being who'd just been crapped on. And Pam! She was so funny with the whole Dwight thing, and her note to Jim - the yogurt lid was inspired. She was just taking it for granted that Jim would get the job - being supportive in absentia - but she wanted him to remember the fun times he'd had in Scranton, before the weirdness started between them. Jim must have just realized that he could never be like the "real" Jim (in season 1 and 2) at corporate. He doesn't need the big job with the big office - he might have career "success" but it was more important to him to have friends, laughter, and a BIG lack of pretention.

That being said...everyone reading this is thinking I'm nuts! But what's so different about the writing, plot and character development of this show and, say, the writing, etc. for novels? I'm just analyzing this stuff the same way I'd analyze stuff for a book club meeting. It's all the same, right? :) And honestly - the Joy of The Office gives me energy. Just like when I read a WICKED good book, or see a kick-butt movie. ("Steel Magnolias" maybe?)

Now THAT would be a cool blog topic - all of my friends and family rating their favorite books, movies, etc.

Okay, back to my real life. This last week (Monday the 14th) was Helena's birthday. She turned 3 years old! It's incredible how fast the time goes. Everyone told me that before I had kids but my first hand testimony of this principle is strong now.
We had two parties for her (long story) and both were nice. Sometimes I watch her in the backyard, swinging on the hammock, singing to herself or running to the swing. I just can't believe she's mine. She is smart, funny, sweet, loving (especially to Hunter - "He's so cute!") and a marvelous blessing. Hunter's the same way - constantly happy, such a trooper even though he's teething and in obvious pain sometimes. We went on a hike tonight at the state park with him (Helena's at Ga-ga's) and he fell asleep. Dan and I talked about that most vague of topics: The Future. I wonder if we'll stop doing that at some point? When are you old enough not to talk about the future? We plan and think and consider and hope. It's kind of fun.

Question: How would I look with Reese-Witherspoon-in-"Sweet-Home-Alabama"-hair? Just wondering. Seems a little short? Would I have to be a zillion pounds lighter too, to complete the look? Egads.

It's fun to be still under 30 with lots of plans and dreams. I hope I still feel that way when I'm 65.

"Cash your dreams before they slip away!"

0 comments: