So, it's been over a month - a MONTH - since I've updated this blog, and that is unacceptable to me. I feel a real responsibility to my fan base to keep this going. Besides, there is a lot to share here.
We've had Joel, Caity, and Emma here living with us for about the last 3 weeks. Actually, it's been awesome in a lot of ways. Usually I tell people that and they're like, "That must be really difficult since you have such a small house." I appreciate both the insult to my home's size and the implication that four adults and two babies can't get along for a little while. It is true that we've all had some moments of frustration, whether we've admitted it or not, but I think that if the patience award were to be awarded today, it would go to Caity. She is pregnant, not feeling well at all, and vomiting almost every day. All while living in somebody else's house, and getting sick in somebody else's toilet. You know? Plus, she has to act nice and happy and stuff b/c I'm always around during the day. I remember the first trimester of my pregnancy was spent mostly in my bedroom (although plenty of time at the porcelain god), crying, reading, sleeping, and praying for it to stop. Caity's been so mature compared to that! I'm proud of her. Good news is, they close on their house Friday and with lots of work and the promise of Elders Quorum assistance, they should be able to move in sometime next week. That is, as long as they can get that nasty smell under control! We are going to have so much fun.
This weekend Kaleb, Suz, Roz, and Spencer all came down to visit us from their new home in Suttons Bay (near Traverse City). It was fantastic to talk and relax with them. We all had dinner at G&L (a local hot dog and burger place, famous here in Muskegon) and while we were sitting at the table, I had this vision of all of us as high schoolers...who would have guessed then that we'd all still be friends, shooting the bull over dogs and soda, with 4 kids (and two on the way) all around us? It was so...existential. Wonderful.
I am assimilating the stress of lots of people lately. My slate of church responsibilities is full, I'm preparing for a recital with my students, trying to help increase membership in Music Boosters, planning and executing a Christmas program including two ward choirs and narration, helping Joel and Caity get settled into their new house, planning on how to help my pregnant friends/family in various ways, taking care of my regular schedule of lessons and Helena...then I worry over my mom, who has so much difficulty at work, and Dan, who really doesn't like his job that well. I think I've always done this. I remember times as a teenager when people would confide in me and I'd lose sleep over it.
On the bright side, Dan and I are talking over some plans (future - maybe next year?) to make improvements to our home. We love this house - our "House of Dreams," you Anne Shirley fans - and we love this neighborhood. Instead of having to move and purchase an "in-between" house, we thought we could more than double the square footage on our house right now. It would likely take between $10,000 and $20,000, and we'd like to save as much of that as we can rather than have to take out a loan, but it would still give us a VERY reasonable house payment with more than twice the house.
Also, I'm reading this excellent book (I got the recommendation from Bas Bleu, a booksellers catalog) called "Educating Alice" by Alice Steinbach. It is marvelous, engaging reading. It's the experiences of a woman (I think just pas middle age) who decides to travel to various places in the world to learn very specific skills and become, temporarily, part of the culture. I just finished the first chapter, where she lives in Paris and attends the Ritz cooking school. Maybe someday...
Since this blog is longer than is probably allowed, I guess I'll stop.
How about a quote?
"Laughter through tears is my favorite emotion!" - Truvy, "Steel Magnolias"
Monday, October 17, 2005
A Little Bit About Me For Your Files
Posted by Beth Soelberg at 11:16 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment