CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, December 07, 2007

Direction for a nation - Hoorah for the Bra!

Mitt Romney's speech? Spot on.

After this speech, Romney has my vote. He finally showed emotion and passion and conviction about something that is clearly close to his heart. His address went beyond his own campaign and reminded us all that America is a great nation, founded on great principles, where liberty is considered a right given to each person by God and is thus respected by government. If his practices as President stem from those principles we're on track. The only thing I think he has REALLY flip-flopped on is this NRA thing. I don't think he hunts, I don't think he believes that hunting is universally right (see the teachings of Joseph Smith and Brigham Young on this topic), and he probably doesn't own any guns, unless they are used for decoration in his study or something. But he must have felt that joining the NRA would shore up his support among us gun-toting Republicans. His other changes in opinion (for lack of a better word) come, I think, from a more careful consideration of the effects certain legislation could have in a long-term view. And at least he had the courage to change when he felt it was time.

Plus, and this is no small thing: Even though he has clearly been blessed by wealth and privilege, he has been successful in almost all aspects of his life (I can't really give examples of his failures). His success in business, in particular, hasn't come from his father or other sources - it's come from his own efforts. Why would he, all of a sudden, fail at being the President of the United States?

BUT - who cares about politics? Let's get to the good stuff.

A couple of days ago, Helena was shopping at Wal-Mart with my mom. As they walked along, Helena stopped at an endcap display and said, "Ga-ga, can you buy me one of these?" She was pointing at some bright purple bras. My mom said, "Well, honey, those are bras for girls when they get bigger." "But I'm a big girl!" Helena replied. (She had her there: Helena's twice the size of most kids her age.) "I guess we'll need to call your Mommy then" says Ga-ga, cracking up inside. So, the phone rings at my house, and I pick up. It's Helena. "Mommy, can I have a bra?" "What? What do you need a bra for, Helena?" I say, shaking with laughter. (I didn't know she even knew it was called a bra!) "I need it to cover my things and keep me warm when I go to bed." "Most girls don't wear bras to bed, honey." (Nice retort, me.) "Plus, they don't have it in your size, Helena." "Well, next time we go to Meijer maybe we can buy one in my size." "Maybe when you get just a little bigger, sweetie."

Also in the family news: Emma had a baby today! That's right, 3-year-old Emma had a healthy baby girl. Helena and Tanner assisted in the delivery, which occurred on our coffee table in the living room. It came right out of Emma's belly button and it "didn't hurt at all!" Everybody's healthy, but I think Emma left her new baby here at our house.

Speaking of babies, we found a Baby Pooh that is sort of like those Glo-Worm thingys: it's face lights up and it plays songs and stuff. That is, it does when it has batteries. Helena asked me to put batteries in it today - it's been literally years since it's had any juice - since she noticed the battery pack inside, so I found the AA's and put them in. When I pushed on Pooh's tummy, his face lit up and the song started and Helena got MAD! "Babies DON'T GLOW! They DON'T GLOW!" (Imagine her maddest face and a truly distressed voice.). "Take out those batteries! They DON'T GLOW!" A couple of hours later, I found the Baby Pooh That Shouldn't Be Glowing in the recyclables box. Nice.

And Hunter says Mama. Life just can't get any better.

3 comments:

rachel said...

Ok, a couple of things:

I didn't see Romney's speech yet, but I've heard good things. It's nice to hear your input. Why are politics taboo among friends? I don't get it!

Lily and I saw the bras today at the store and she wanted one! I told her that they were for big girls and she told me that she'd wait until she's 4. It's funny that she and Helena are in such similar stages!

I have a new book recommendation for you. I'll send you an email.

Leanne said...

What an entertaining post!! I love it! So funny

Caity said...

Oh, that post had the best of everything! Politics, sentiment and a heaping load of humor! It just cracked me up! So funny! Helena seriously cracks me up!